Thursday 7 April 2011

Chapter 23: Jonas' escape

When I saw on Ann-Kathrin's side the song text of an Bon Jovi song, I remembered the song “Mad World” by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews (it's a cover version, the original one is from Tears For Fears). I think the lyrics fits very good to the situation in which Jonas is in the last few chapters.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places
Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere
Going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression
No expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow
No tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it’s a very very
Mad world
Mad world
. .
Enlarging your world
Mad world
All around me are familiar faces ;Worn out faces : Jonas doesn't feel any longer comfortable in the community. He doesn't want to see his family any longer, especially his father. Going nowhere: He doesn't see any sense in the regular daily routine 
Bright and early for the daily races: He can't understand how this could be enough for the other community members.
No expressions: He is tired of this life without feelings. 
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow: He doesn't want to feel the pain of the Memories any longer or the pain which his father unknowingly added to him. The rest of the song fits to his escape with Gabe:
No tomorrow: Jonas doesn't know how he and Gabe should survive without any food and thick clothing. 
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had: The book has an open ending. Shortly before the book is over Jonas thinks that he sees lighted windows, lit up by Christmas trees. And he heard people singing. We don't get to know whether this is real or just an imagination of Jonas but it seems to be like the place were he ever wanted to be.
When people run in circles it's a very very mad world: In his old community there were no changes or any progression. Every day was the same. 
Enlarging your world: That is what Jonas did with his escape. He couldn't continue his life as being the new Receiver and escaped with Gabe to explore more of the world.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. I think you found a very good song which fits perfectly in Jonas' situation. Great! I really like that you explained several parts of the songtext. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Laura's opinion.
    The songtext fits very good to the end and that you explained the parts make the reader to understand why you chose this song.
    Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful song - as if it had been written for the novel! Cool that you remembered it. I think music can tell us quite a lot - especially about feelings, as you have carefully analyzed in your statement. Well done!
    Perhaps you can even include the youtube video?
    here are possible links:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wfEFpybj0

    ReplyDelete