Saturday 26 March 2011

Chapter 8: Summary of Jonas' selection + Diary entry

Summary of Jonas' selection
Different from all the other Elevens, Jonas doesn't get an assignment. He is chosen to be the new Receiver of the Memory of the community. Those selections are very seldom and there is always just one Receiver in the community. The old Receiver has to brief Jonas for his new tasks. Jonas has got the three qualities which are necessary for this job: Intelligence, integrity, courage and he is going to get the last one, wisdom. He also has the “Capity to See Beyond”.That means he is able to see things the other community members are not able to see. First time he saw the apple changing and in the Ceremony he notices that the community changes as well. Jonas thinks that the community accepts him as the new Receiver and is glad about his selection but has also a lot of fear.

Diary entry
Dear diary,
Finally, today was the Ceremony of Twelve. When I woke up in the morning I was very nervous. I knew I would have to wait after the midday break but even then the Elevens would come first. Anyway, the time came when the first Twelve went up the steps of the stage to the Chief Elder. It was very hard for me to wait for my time and not just ran there, too. But I was very patient and waited for my time to come. Then number 17 came and after that 19..I was shocked. How could the Elder forget me? I felt very ashamed. Till the end of the Twelves she didn't mention my name. When she finished she said that she hadn't made any mistake and called me up to the stage. It was very hard for me to go there, because the waiting and not knowing what would happen next had even made me more nervous. But somehow I managed and the she told me I would be the new Receiver of the Memory. At first, I didn't know what that meant, but she explained it to me and the community and so I realized what an important job they gave me. She also told me something about the “Capacity to See Beyond”. Initially I couldn't imagine what this should be but then I remembered the happening with the apple and suddenly the community looked different to me. Then I knew that I have this special quality. The whole community started to say my name and my selection made me very proud and grateful. But the Elder spoke about physical pain and that only the old Receiver could introduce me into my work which wouldn't be that easy, so I'm really scared. I can't imagine what I'm going to do and how important my job is exactly for the community.

2 comments:

  1. A summary that captures the most important facts of this chapter full of new information. Well done!

    Good job on the diary entry!

    language-wise, two notes:
    -she said she hadn't MADE any mistake
    -(to) manage something [not "it" required]

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job am doing a project on the giver

    ReplyDelete